Skip to main content

Why Abhay Deol sign a multi-hero Movie

There was a strong rumour in the Bollywood industry last week that Abhay Deol, on a high after the accolades and profits for Dev D, was having second thoughts about doing Zoya Akhtar's film with Farhan Akhtar and Hrithik Roshan.

"Abhay Deol wants to do only solo-hero projects," said an industry source.

When questioned, Abhay Deol did not deny that he had indeed so far sought out films where he was the only male lead.

"And why not? From my first film Socha Na Tha to Dev D most of the films that I've been doing have offered me a chance to be on my own. Why not use the cinema space to create your own rhythm and pace when you are getting the opportunity?

"Having said that, I'd be foolish to turn down something like Zoya's film. It does have three heroes, yes. But all of us have strong interesting and equal roles. That's why I agreed to do the film."

Abhay also reminds you that he has done an ensemble cast before. "I did Farhan Akhtar-Ritesh Sidhwani's Honeymoon Travels Pvt Ltd, directed by Reema Kagti. And thoroughly enjoyed myself."

In fact in Honeymoon... Abhay Deol had stepped into a role earmarked for Farhan. A fact Abhay says he wasn't aware of when he signed the film. That's where his friendship with Farhan began. Abhay admits if he wasn't friendly with Farhan and Hrithik he would've had a tough time deciding whether to do the new project.

"So, yes, for all practical purposes I will be doing only solo-hero films. Even Aisha is a solo-hero film," says Abhay, "and never if the film's leading lady Sonam Kapoor's father Anil Kapoor thinks she's the film's hero."

Abhay Deol's latest solo quest with the quirky Road by Dev Benegal has been selected for a premiere in the prestigious competition section of the Berlin Film Festival, where Karan Johar's My Name Is Khan has been premiered.

A busy Abhay finishes Anil Kapoor's Aisha and goes straight into his home production Basra and Zoya Akhtar's film with Hrithik Roshan and Farhan Akhtar.

He hopes to spend most of 2010 in Mumbai working round the clock in three new projects which includes Zoya Akhtar's movie. Abhay has taken a sabbatical from his new home-life in New York. He is also all set to do a full-on potboiler.

Asked if he would do more modern literary adaptations like Dev D, Abhay replied: "Provided I get one that I like. I can't just hop genres for the heck of it. But, yes, a typical conventional commercial film does seem like a good idea right now. And by the way I've done the song-and-dance routine in my first film Socha Na Tha."

Any hopes of winning awards for Dev D?

"Not really. I've never really won any awards. I've managed to make a decent career without them," Abhay ends wryly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tees Maar Khan - Official Trailer, Video, Photos, Wallpapers, Cast

Tees Maar Khan is an Action / Comedy film directed by Farah Khan featuring Akshay Kumar, Katrina Kaif in the lead roles and Akshay Khanna in a cameo. Salman Khan has done an item song for the film. The music of the film is composed by the music duo of Vishal-Shekhar, lyrics are penned by Javed Akhtar. The film Tees Maar Khan  is set to Release on 24 December 2010. For More News Go @ WWW.BOLLYWOOD-NEWS.IN

Shahid Kapoor: I'm waiting for someone special

Bollywood’s man with lightening in his feet, Shahid Kapoor seems pretty chilled out and unfazed by controversies in real life. In town to shoot for an untitled film opposite Anushka Sharma, Shahid seems very comfortable in his skin. While he’s reluctant to discuss about his private life or his rumoured amours with Priyanka Chopra, Vidya Balan and Sania Mirza, the teen heartthrob says he’s “learnt to take all the rumours with a pinch of salt” and claims he’s just a “regular” young guy after pack-up. Excerpts from an exclusive interview: Kaminey and Dil Bole Hadippa... are set to hit the screens. Yeah. Their release dates are pretty close to each other. Kaminey will hit the screens this month, while Dil Bole Hadippa is slated for a September release. Both are very different films and I’m excited as well as a little nervous. The levels of expectations increase after your previous films have done well at the BO. Jab We Met was a turning point in my career. After Vivaah, I sat home for six ...

Priyanka Chopra's dangerous stunt ends up in an ACCIDENT | Bollywood News