Skip to main content

I hope I live up to my name in Bollywood: Asin

http://tkada.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/asin001.jpg
Having stormed Telugu and Tamil cinema Asin has now moved to Mumbai conquer the Hindi belt.

And if the growing buzz is to be believed, after Hema Malini, Rekha and Sridevi, Asin Thottumkal is poised to be the next Bollywood diva from the South.

Tell her this, and Asin laughs in delight and embarrassment. "I admire the names you've mentioned. I'm a long way from getting anywhere near them. I thought I was fairly unknown in Mumbai.

I guess I'm lucky. But yes I feel hugely welcome in Mumbai. I don't know why filmmakers are showing so much interest in me. I guess they must've seen my work in Tamil and Telugu.

Spirited spunky and beautiful Asin (pronounced Ah-sin) has a better sense of humour than most of the screen divas in Bollywood.

"Thanks for pronouncing my name correctly. Most people tend to give it an Islamic spin. 'Asin' is coined from Sanskrit and English. It means 'sinless' like 'Amala'….without blemish. I hope I live up to my name in Mumbai."

For now Mumbai is home. "I'm in Mumbai now. I thought that was the practical thing to do. But only because my immediate commitments are in Mumbai. I'm the brand ambassador for six multi-national companies and the ads need to be shot in Mumbai. Now there're the Hindi films."

Luckily Asin speaks Hindi without an accent. "I can manage it quite well. And I don't have a thick South Indian accent. In these days of globalization I don't think language is a barrier.

And I'm only looking for good roles regardless of the language. I'm interested in films in Tamil, Telugu, Hindi and any other language as long as the projects are exciting. I look at the script, then the role, director, banner and finally my co- star."

Since she has moved to Mumbai there're rumours in the South that she's giving up on South Indian cinema.

"That's completely untrue. Whatever I'm today is because of Tamil and Telegu cinema. Why am I expected to choose between Mumbai and the South?"

Asin is equally popular in Tamil and Telugu cinema. "I speak both languages fluently and do all my dubbing myself. I've never used a dubbing artiste for any of my films, not even for the Hindi ads that I've done. And I'm speaking in my own voice in my first Hindi film b. It's in sync-sound, so there was no choice."

With such a hectic 3-language cinematic career when and where does Asin get the chance to be normal?

She laughs musically, "I guess I'm pretty normal and grounded. Because of the so-called stardom down South people expect me to behave in a particular way. And they're disappointed when I don't."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vivek Oberoi: I am a Tamilian

  Vivek Oberoi:-  I am a Tamilian Vivek Oberoi has said he has great affinity for Tamil Nadu Movies and that he makes sure that he visits his grand-parents in Chennai regularly. Vivek Oberoi in an interview to Tamil media earlier had said ‘Naanum Thamizhkarandhan’ (means ‘ I am also a Tamilian ’). Vivek Oberoi earned the good will of Tamil Nadu people when he adopted a Tamil Nadu village devastated by the killer Tsunami in 2004. Vivek’s next two big films have a solid Tamil connection. The immediate ‘ Prince ’ is being dubbed and released in Tamil on April 9. The following ‘ Raktha Charithra ’ by Ram Gopal Varma in which Suriya is also playing an important role is a multi lingual and that too will be released as a direct Tamil version. The most highlighting factor about these films is that Vivek Oberoi will speak Tamil himself for the dubbing. When Suriya and Vikram are learning Hindi for their Bollywood debuts, Vivek Oberoi comes to Kollywood already knowing Tamil. For More

Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini

Bollywood Actress Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini In Dil Bole Hadippa Believe it or not, but the whole ‘bikini top ‘n’ skimpy shorts’ avatar in short — flaunting Rani Mukerji’s hot new bod wasn’t her idea. Not even the producer or director had anything to do with it. After she realised how much she had toned up (to play a male cricketer in Dil Bole Hadippa!), Rani just happened to discuss this idea with her designer friend Manish Malhotra. And from there on it was Manish’s game plan, after all, he’s transformed many a Bollywood girl in to glam queens. He suggested that it would be a pity to waste such a well-toned body by not showing it off. That’s how the idea of a special song was born. And is she looking hot? Talk about her ‘shapely’ success, and Rani says, “Believe me, I didn’t starve at all. I love my food, especially rice and sweets. There was no way I was giving up all that. So, I just worked out harder and was occasionally allowed my ‘cheat’ meals of rice, sweets, etc.

Bollywood: John Abraham’s Slum Connection

Bollywood New Movie Slumdog Millionaire has definitely made the slums of Mumbai a little popular. Perhaps this is why they are so welcoming to every director who wants to make a film on their lifestyle. John Abraham’s fortcoming film Hook Ya Crook is also one of those films shot in the Chikalwadi Chawl of Mumbai. This film is directed by David Dhawan and John Abraham playes a cricketer who resides in the chawl. In a song John and Genelia D’Souza dance to a tapori-ish number with the typical tapori dance steps. The residents of the slum were delighted to see the stars around and cheered for the unit as they worked. John Abraham added to their delight by giving them autographs and taking pictures with them.