Skip to main content

'Aishwarya was my first choice for Hancock'

http://www.wallpaperbase.com/wallpapers/celebsm/willsmith/will_smith_1.jpg

Describe Hancock from the perspective of its protagonist?

Hancock is the story of a sarcastic and misunderstood guy whose well-intentioned heroics might get the job done and save countless lives, but they always seem to leave jaw-dropping damage in their wake. Hancock is complicated. Every day, he wakes up mad at the world. He doesn’t remember what has happened to him and there is no one to help him find the answers. He has good intentions, but has trouble connecting to the world around him. I mean he flies drunk and it was very difficult to portray and take on this character ahead as it was totally opposite to what I am. But I did it with certain happiness because this film is more than just another superhero film.

Between I Am Legend or Hancock, which film seemed more exhilarating to work on?
Well for me each of my projects is as exuberant and as exciting as never before. When you talk about I am Legend, a challenging protagonist is what comes to one’s mind first. It was a different script and storyline than Hancock. A single person surviving a deadly virus attack that had struck and wiped out an entire city was very exhilarating, but when you talk about Hancock, it is a film based on a completely different note than the other movies in the league of superhero films. Hancock is based on logical perceptions and is choc-a-bloc with loads of sensible humor.

How is Charlize Theron as a co-star?
Charlize is so much fun to work with. She is so co-operative and talented. She has gained a lot of experience after films like The Devil’s Advocate, Celebrity, The Yards and of course her Oscar winning performance in Monster and that suggests to me that she would always justify her work. She has done exactly that in Hancock and her fabulous looks make for some excellent on screen chemistry.

Hancockis another sci-fi based film from Will Smith. Are you making a conscious effort to be the Hollywood sci-fi icon?
I hope you watched my Pursuit Of Happyness. It was a film that was very well appreciated and is one of the closest to my heart. Now was that a sci-fi film? It is not that I am dying to do sci-fi movies only, it is just that I get to hear fantastic scripts that I can’t say no to. And fortunately or unfortunately, most of them turn out to be sci-fi based. Well I don’t mind working in any number of films of any genre as long as they have a rock solid script and a good storyline. I think the stories are written considering my ‘powerful actor image’ (Laughs).

How important is humour in your acting skill set?
Humour has always been my best exercise. I have always believed that “It doesn’t cost a cent to make someone smile”. Though I have been termed as the Most Powerful Actor on The Planet (was voted for the title in 2006 by the US Magazine, Newsweek), yet I think humour is a part of our daily lives and it can never be segregated from acting. There are some serious roles like the one in I Am Legendbut at some situations, it is our expressions that add humour to the shot.

The fresh prince has come a long way to become a Hollywood icon. What according to you drove you on the roads of success?
I still remember my most notable television role of William Will Smith (my namesake role) in The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air. Actually my charming and sly demeanour in school resulted in the nickname Prince, which eventually turned into the Fresh Prince. While in my teens, I began rapping and began collaborating with Jeff Townes and went on to be called MC of the hip-hop duo DJ Jazzy Jeff and the Fresh Prince.
To be frank, I was nearly bankrupt in 1990 when the NBC TV network signed me to a contract and built The Fresh Prince Of Bel-Airsitcom. The show was successful and launched my acting career. My film career took off with my role in the action film Bad Boys (1995).
In 1996 I also began a solo music career while simultaneously starring in films. Independence Day, Men in Black, Bad Boys II, Hitch, Persuit of Happyness, I consider myself lucky to have been blessed by the almighty’s grace.
I feel really proud of what I am today, but all due to my fans and God’s blessings. I guess I would also credit my strong determination to have carried me on the path to success.

Your popularity in India matches if not surpasses other Hollywood actors. How important is it for an international movie star to build and maintain his image outside of the US, specifically in the emerging cinema markets of Asia?
Whether its Asia or any other part of the world, according to me acting knows no barrier. But the amount of support and co-operation that we can get from other nations and their residents is phenomenal. We try our best to deliver the best work and leave everything else upon the people. But, it is very important for a Star to reach out to a global audience especially because a lot of people like an actor’s work but cannot meet them due to physical distances. I think the actor’s work can speak for him in his absence.
I remember when I was in India, I was heartily welcomed and I brought back wonderful memories from there and now I wish to make another visit. Stars in India are fantastic and just like we have fans in India; Bollywood actors have a fan following here in the US. Perhaps it is a similar condition. End of the day it’s all about the quality of work that is praised across all borders. I also hope and wish that all my movies run well in India and I manage to retain the same amount of love from there.

Any message to those, who are eagerly awaiting the release of Hancock?
Well, do watch Hancocknot because it is another big studio superhero movie, but because it is a movie with emotions and an all-new plot that had never been exploited. It is not just restricted to mere flying and saving the nation; instead it is a relationship-based story, which is something very new to have been incorporated with the superhero theme.

Your favorite Bollywood stars?
Of course, Aishwarya Rai whom I had been dying to work with. In fact she was my first choice to work with in Hancock. How can I leave out Amitabh Bachchan. He is a mind-blowing actor. I saw him acting in one of his recent films and now I have decide to change my name to ‘Big W’. Will it sound nice? And who doesn’t know Shah Rukh Khan over there? I have heard that he is termed as the King of Bollywood. It’s great, I love Bollywood and would love do a nice project with Indian filmmakers and stars if a good script finds me.

Pull out: ”I saw Amitabh Bachchan acting in one of his recent films and now I have decide to change my name to ‘Big W’

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vivek Oberoi: I am a Tamilian

  Vivek Oberoi:-  I am a Tamilian Vivek Oberoi has said he has great affinity for Tamil Nadu Movies and that he makes sure that he visits his grand-parents in Chennai regularly. Vivek Oberoi in an interview to Tamil media earlier had said ‘Naanum Thamizhkarandhan’ (means ‘ I am also a Tamilian ’). Vivek Oberoi earned the good will of Tamil Nadu people when he adopted a Tamil Nadu village devastated by the killer Tsunami in 2004. Vivek’s next two big films have a solid Tamil connection. The immediate ‘ Prince ’ is being dubbed and released in Tamil on April 9. The following ‘ Raktha Charithra ’ by Ram Gopal Varma in which Suriya is also playing an important role is a multi lingual and that too will be released as a direct Tamil version. The most highlighting factor about these films is that Vivek Oberoi will speak Tamil himself for the dubbing. When Suriya and Vikram are learning Hindi for their Bollywood debuts, Vivek Oberoi comes to Kollywood already knowing Tamil. For More

Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini

Bollywood Actress Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini In Dil Bole Hadippa Believe it or not, but the whole ‘bikini top ‘n’ skimpy shorts’ avatar in short — flaunting Rani Mukerji’s hot new bod wasn’t her idea. Not even the producer or director had anything to do with it. After she realised how much she had toned up (to play a male cricketer in Dil Bole Hadippa!), Rani just happened to discuss this idea with her designer friend Manish Malhotra. And from there on it was Manish’s game plan, after all, he’s transformed many a Bollywood girl in to glam queens. He suggested that it would be a pity to waste such a well-toned body by not showing it off. That’s how the idea of a special song was born. And is she looking hot? Talk about her ‘shapely’ success, and Rani says, “Believe me, I didn’t starve at all. I love my food, especially rice and sweets. There was no way I was giving up all that. So, I just worked out harder and was occasionally allowed my ‘cheat’ meals of rice, sweets, etc.

Bollywood: John Abraham’s Slum Connection

Bollywood New Movie Slumdog Millionaire has definitely made the slums of Mumbai a little popular. Perhaps this is why they are so welcoming to every director who wants to make a film on their lifestyle. John Abraham’s fortcoming film Hook Ya Crook is also one of those films shot in the Chikalwadi Chawl of Mumbai. This film is directed by David Dhawan and John Abraham playes a cricketer who resides in the chawl. In a song John and Genelia D’Souza dance to a tapori-ish number with the typical tapori dance steps. The residents of the slum were delighted to see the stars around and cheered for the unit as they worked. John Abraham added to their delight by giving them autographs and taking pictures with them.