Skip to main content

My relationship with Deepika is platonic: Ranbir Kapoor

Shy but savvy, He's an unusual RK. Three months after his movie debut, he’s playing it cool. No speeding into more projects than you can count on your toes and fingers.

My relationship with Deepika is platonic: Ranbir Kapoor


The 25-year-old has just shot for a top brand cola with Shah Rukh Khan, is considering more high-end endorsements, shooting for a Yash Raj banner romancer and keeping his head on the shoulders on being blitzed with gazillion herogiri offers.

And yeah, he pops up in the psst columns with items about his dates with some of the most beautiful girls in show town. Mercy be, he doesn’t go for the subterfuge of ‘no comments.’ So here’s Ranbir Kapoor in a heart speak with us.

Why are your feet drumming a beat, Ranbir?

Ha, you noticed. That’s because I guess I’m full of energy, must let it out.. though dad often tells me it’s bad manners.

How else do you let off your pent-up energy?

I calculate the numbers on cars’ driving plates. I add up the digits to get a single number, I feel great if the digits add up to the number 8. Mum was born on July 8. I’m very fast at this, almost like a calculator, even though I wasn’t ever any good at maths. At school (Bombay Scottish), I was into football, pranking around.. ( blushing) and I was interested in girls at a very young age. I’m told I was four when I went crazy over a lovely miss.. a teacher.

In the RK family tradition, you couldn’t have been a whiz at studies.

Yes, I was a distracted kid. But I completed my 12th standard. The shoot of 'Aa Ab Laut Chalen' was on in America’s Lake district. Everyone was excited, grandma gave me loads of dollars to celebrate that I’d finished school. Besides me, Dabboo Uncle is considered quite educated since he completed eighth standard! We Kapoors are passionate about cinema, not books.

Okay, now tell me going by the footage and camera shots given to you in 'Saawariya', it would seem the director fell in love with you.

You think so? I don’t know.

Wasn’t Salman Khan upset because his role was drastically reduced?

No, no, his role wasn’t cut at all.. he wasn’t upset. At the premiere, he told me, “Welcome to the club.”

You did become the ‘butt’ of jokes for a while, didn’t you?

You mean the towel scene, the Jab se tere naina song? That’s given me popularity. I wasn’t inhibited about it at all, especially because it was a tribute to 'Bobby' in which Aruna Irani sees my dad without his towel.

Were you completely.. Err.. In your birthday suit.. for that nude shot?

Yeah, it was a complicated shot, it took 16 takes.

Would you do such a scene again?

It’s no big deal. Why not.. if the director has the sensibility of (Sanjay Leela) Bhansali saab ?

Are you in his next project?

I’m clueless about that. He doesn’t play favourites.. or else Salman Khan would have been in 'Devdas'.

But wouldn’t a hit have mattered?

Definitely. But I’ve seen dad go though the ups and downs. I haven’t reached that stage yet. Dad would never let his anxieties show. And the toughest point for a leading man is to make that transition to character roles which he has.

What did your parents have to say about 'Saawariya'?

Even if I were the worst actor in the world, mum would say I’m the best. I was afraid of dad. I so wanted a nod from him. Dad may have had problems with the film as a moviegoer but not as a father. He sent me a beautiful text message which I’ll always preserve.

Were you paid decently for the film?

I don’t know money at all.

Who exactly is your date nowadays? I’m extremely confused.

I’m confused too. Please tell Honey and Mottu that I’m not seeing anyone right now. I’m not ashamed at all at the thought of falling in love.. my parents’ has been a wonderful love story.

What’s the exact story on Deepika Padukone and you?

We have been friends. Then she was busy with her first film’s release and I was busy with mine. Recently we were shooting in Australia and became friendly again. She’s an amazing, caring girl. I enjoy spending time with her. We go out for dinners.

You were spotted dining out just a couple of day ago.

Yes, I’m not denying that at all. She and I were at a restaurant but I wasn’t feeding her with my hands as your Mottu reported.

What are these dinners all about?


Food. Like every Kapoor, I’m a foodie. When she and I go out, we try out everything from lobsters and snails to vada paavs.

What’s the status of Deepika’s relationship with Yuvraj Singh, then?


(Pause) It wouldn’t be fair of me to ask her that. My relationship with her is platonic.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.. sure.. define that.


It means a platonic relationship. We like the same kind of movies, that sort of thing.

So whose girlfriend is she?


Not my girlfriend, in the way you mean at all.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Do you know Nihar Pandya?


Yes, he’s a sweet guy. But I haven’t met them together.

Would you let Deepika tie a raakhi around your wrist?


( Nearly leaps up ) No, no, no, no, I never allow beautiful women to tie raakhis on me.. that’s why I wouldn’t go to school on Raakhi day.

Okay, what’s with the buzz about Sonam Kapoor and you?


We haven’t been in touch. Since we were making our debuts together, the buzz was mandatory. There’s no story there. There was no exchange of flowers and chocolates. Sure we’re comfortable with each other, we’d go out for dinners.

So, who’s in your life right now?


Let’s say I’m not looking for love right now. Love is beautiful when it’s reciprocated. I have been infatuated with women ever since I was in school.

You have been seen dining with Nandita Mahtani on and off.


She’s a family friend; I’ve grown up with a crush on her. I’ve seen her go through various stages of life. She has always handled the situation. She can calm you down, no matter what.

How?


That happens plenty of times.The smallest of thing, a gesture matters. Nothing has to be said really.

How do your parents react to your infatuations?


They are understanding. They let me decide, they want me to learn from my mistakes. I’ve never done anything to make them freak out. I’m the sort who speaks his heart out.. specially to my cousins Armaan and Aadar. If I ever find someone I’d like to marry, the marriage wouldn’t be between two individuals but between two families. I’d work towards unconditional approval.

Hmmm, very 'Dilwale Dulhania le Jayenge', that. On Valentine’s Day, which of your teen deviyans were you in touch with?


None of them. It’s a day for lovers.. not for friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Vivek Oberoi: I am a Tamilian

  Vivek Oberoi:-  I am a Tamilian Vivek Oberoi has said he has great affinity for Tamil Nadu Movies and that he makes sure that he visits his grand-parents in Chennai regularly. Vivek Oberoi in an interview to Tamil media earlier had said ‘Naanum Thamizhkarandhan’ (means ‘ I am also a Tamilian ’). Vivek Oberoi earned the good will of Tamil Nadu people when he adopted a Tamil Nadu village devastated by the killer Tsunami in 2004. Vivek’s next two big films have a solid Tamil connection. The immediate ‘ Prince ’ is being dubbed and released in Tamil on April 9. The following ‘ Raktha Charithra ’ by Ram Gopal Varma in which Suriya is also playing an important role is a multi lingual and that too will be released as a direct Tamil version. The most highlighting factor about these films is that Vivek Oberoi will speak Tamil himself for the dubbing. When Suriya and Vikram are learning Hindi for their Bollywood debuts, Vivek Oberoi comes to Kollywood already knowing Tamil. For More

Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini

Bollywood Actress Rani Mukherjee's sexy in her bikini In Dil Bole Hadippa Believe it or not, but the whole ‘bikini top ‘n’ skimpy shorts’ avatar in short — flaunting Rani Mukerji’s hot new bod wasn’t her idea. Not even the producer or director had anything to do with it. After she realised how much she had toned up (to play a male cricketer in Dil Bole Hadippa!), Rani just happened to discuss this idea with her designer friend Manish Malhotra. And from there on it was Manish’s game plan, after all, he’s transformed many a Bollywood girl in to glam queens. He suggested that it would be a pity to waste such a well-toned body by not showing it off. That’s how the idea of a special song was born. And is she looking hot? Talk about her ‘shapely’ success, and Rani says, “Believe me, I didn’t starve at all. I love my food, especially rice and sweets. There was no way I was giving up all that. So, I just worked out harder and was occasionally allowed my ‘cheat’ meals of rice, sweets, etc.

Bollywood: John Abraham’s Slum Connection

Bollywood New Movie Slumdog Millionaire has definitely made the slums of Mumbai a little popular. Perhaps this is why they are so welcoming to every director who wants to make a film on their lifestyle. John Abraham’s fortcoming film Hook Ya Crook is also one of those films shot in the Chikalwadi Chawl of Mumbai. This film is directed by David Dhawan and John Abraham playes a cricketer who resides in the chawl. In a song John and Genelia D’Souza dance to a tapori-ish number with the typical tapori dance steps. The residents of the slum were delighted to see the stars around and cheered for the unit as they worked. John Abraham added to their delight by giving them autographs and taking pictures with them.